Sign in / Join

Suspect Dead, Two DC Police Wounded After Shootout In Northeast DC

Police conduct an investigation into a shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington, DC, September 16, 2013. A shooting rampage Monday at a US naval base in the heart of Washington claimed at least 13 lives, including the unidentified gunman, while another possible suspect was still at large, police said. The shooting sparked a massive show of force as police and federal agents surrounded the Navy Yard, cordoning off streets only blocks from the US Capitol, home of Congress. US officials gave no indication of any link to terrorism while police said the motive for the attack on the naval installation was unknown. "At this hour, it appears that we have at least 12 fatalities," Washington DC police chief Cathy Lanier told a press conference. Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images.

Two D.C. police officers were shot and a suspect was killed in the Trinidad neighborhood Thursday evening.

The incident took place in Northeast Washington, D.C., at about 10:40 p.m.

While it’s not exactly clear what events led to the shootout, police were already in the vicinity in response to reports earlier in the day that there were shots fired.

Two officers were shot in their lower bodies after an exchange with the suspect and are expected to recover, The Washington Post reports.

The suspect, however, was pronounced dead upon arrival to the hospital. According to Interim Police Chief Peter Newsham, who was named the permanent police chief Thursday subject to approval, the events are murky, as “our two best witnesses are at the hospital right now.”

“We believe their injuries are non-life-threatening, which we’re thankful for,” Newsham added.

“We do have a weapon recovered from the scene, which we believe to be the suspect’s,” Newsham said.

Newsham and Mayor Muriel Bowser visited the officers in the hospital Thursday evening.

Those officers are expected to be released from the hospital on Friday. Both officers are in good spirits.

Neither the two wounded officers, nor the suspect have been named.

Investigators are still trying to get to the bottom of what happened to provoke the exchange of gunfire.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact